Diocese of Winchester
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 1
A white rectangular stone floor slab, first in a row.
The inscription is incised in roman caps
There is crack in the bottom left corner.
w 800 x d 510 mm
Impropriation was the annexation or assignment of an ecclesiastical benefice to a lay proprietor.
SACRED TO THE MEMORY/OF HENRIETTA BLUNT/ WIFE OF JAMES BLUNT ESQr/WHO DIED 11th SEPTEMBER 1807 AGED 26 YEARS/ALSO/OF HARRY THEOPHILUS JAMES BLUNT/SON OF JAMES BLUNT ESQr & SARAH HIS WIFE/WHO DIED 5th APRIL AGED 14 MONTHS/
ALSO/OF EMILY DOROTHEA BLUNT/DAUGHTER OF JAMES BLUNT ESQr & HENRIETTA HIS WIFE/WHO DIED AT TORQUAY 7th JULY 1831 AGED 27 YEARS/
ALSO/OF JAMES BLUNT ESQr/31 YEARS LAY IMPROPRIATOR OF THIS PARISH/WHO DIED 28th SEPTEMBER 1832 AGED 67 YEARS/
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 2
A white rectangular white stone slab
the inscription is in roman caps infilled in black
Th bottom left hand corner is chipped
w 820 x 400 mm
SACRED TO THE MEMORY/OF SARAH BLUNT/WIFE OF JAMES BLUNT ESQr/WHO DIED AT SOUTHAMPTON 5th APRIL 1833/AGED 58 YEARS/
ALSO/OF CHARLOTTE MARY BLUNT/DAUGHTER OF JAMES BLUNTESQr & SARAH HIS WIFE/WHO DIED AT SOUTHAMPTON/27th MARCH 1833/AGED 18 YEARS/
This notice appeared in The Monthly Magazine or British Register of February 1, 1810: “Married at Southampton, James Blunt esq. to Sarah Little, third daughter of the late Richard L. esq. of Grosvenor Place”
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 3
A white rectangular stone floor slab
The lettering is in roman caps, infilled in black
w 780 x 400 mm
As lay impropriator, Rev William Blunt was entitled to live in the Elizabethan Parsonage House, which in 1838 he rebuilt as Wallop House (now Winton Nursing Home). His responsibilities included maintaining the church and 1845 there was extensive restoration including rebuilding the Chancel in 15th C style, new box pews installed and a 15th C style font, the north and south porches rebuilt with iron dog-gates.
ALSO OF THE REVd WALTER BLUNT/SON OF JAMES AND HENRIETTA BLUNT/ LAST LAY IMPROPRIATOR OF THIS PARISH/WHO DIED MAY 13th 1868/AGED 66 YEARS/
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 4
A white rectangular stone floor slab
The inscription is in incised roman caps infilled in black
There is a diagonal crack across the bottom right corner
w 720 x 400 mm
SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF/WALTER BLUNT ESQUIRE/WHO DIED AT APPLESHAW IN THIS COUNTY/ON THE 7th JULY 1827, AGED 64/ALSO OF/HIS BROTHER HARRY BLUNT ESQUIRE/WHO DIED AT HIPPENSCOMBE/IN THE COUNTY OF WILTS/ON THE 20TH OF OCTOBER 1820/AGED 55/
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 5
A white rectangular stone floor slab
The inscription is in roman caps
w 790 x 400 mm
Walter Blunt had owned Garlogs since “before 1778”. This property had originally formed part of the estate granted to the Prioress of Amesbury by Henry II in 1177; in 1318 in 1318 it was settled on Juliane widow of Benedict Galrug. By the 16th C it had passed into the hands of the Gore family and thence to Walter Blunt
SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF/WALTER BLUNT ESQUIRE/WHO DIED 18th JULY 1801/IN THE 66TH YEAR OF HIS AGE/SEVEN YEARS LAY IMPROPRIATOR OF THIS PARISH/AND/OF HIS RELICT/ANNA MARIA BLUNT/WHO DIED AT ENHAM HOUSE IN THIS COUNTY/DECEMBER 3rd 1829, IN HER 81ST YEAR/
ALSO/OF THEIR SON/GEORGE BLUNT ESQUIRE.WHO DIED AT AGRA IN THE EAST INDIES/30TH JUNE 1829, IN HIS 52ND YEAR/
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 6
Grey ledger stone with initials and dates of seven members of the Blunt family
The letters are inscribed in roman caps and infilled in black
The bottom left hand corner is cracked
l 1820 x w 1000 mm
W.B. 1801. / H.B. 1807. / H.T.J.B. 1819. / H.B. 1820. / W.B. 1827. / J.B. 1832. / W.B. 1868. /
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 7
Black ledger stone headed with a marital coat-of-arms
The inscription is in incised roman caps and lc, including long f
Crest – a Demi-lion Azure, between its paws a Mascle Or (Miller)
Dexter – a Mill-rind (tinctures unknown) [although the mill-rind had been granted to several people called Mills or Molines, as a rebus based on their names, there is no reference to it ever belonging to Millers. the family therefoe appear to have appropriated it as their coat-of-arms without authority. for this reason it is impossible to state the tinctures used]
Sinister – Or a Chevron chequy ARgent and Azure between three Greyhounds courant Sable collared Gules (Dowse or Douce of Broughton) [The correct blazon for the chevron is listed chequy, whereas that used here is lozngy. It is however correctly on the plaque on the pyramid in the churchyard]
l 2000 x w 1140 mm
This memorial resembles five stones, including Esther’s stepson Francis Powlett (dated from 1695 to 1742) in memory of membrs of the Paulet or Powlett family on the floor in Sanctuary in St Mary’s Church, Amport
H S E/Johannes Miller Generosus/Vir meritis suis clarior/Quam ut ulto (sic) indigeat praeconio/Uxorem duxit Estheram, Francisci Douce/Militis, Filiam Perspicaci simam/Ex qua/Janannam, Elizabetham et Estheram/Tres Filias Gratiarum triade conferendas/Suscepit/Bonis omnibus & Fortunis Spoliatus/Incausa Regis Caroli Martyris/Coelum Patientiae praemium, acquisi/Anno Saultis MDCXLVII/
John Miller, nobleman, a man too distinguished by his own merit to need the support of any outward honour, married Esther, most perspicacious daughter of Sir Francis Douce, who bore him three daughters Joan, Elizabeth and Esther, to become a triad of Graces. Robbed of all his goods and fortune in the cause of King Charles the Martyr, he attained Heaven, the reward for his suffering, in the year of Grace, 1647.
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 8
Black ledger stone headed with a coat-of-arms in a lozenge
The inscription is incised in flourished roman caps and lc, including the long f
Dexter – A Mill-rind (tinctures unknown) (see 003A for comments)
Centre – Or a Chevron chequy Argent and Azure between three Greyhounds cournat Sable collared Gules (Dowse or Douce of Broughton)
Sinister – Sable three Swords in pile points in base Argent, Pommels and Hilts Or. (Paulet, Marquess of Winchester) A crescent for difference. [The table refers to [Lord] Henry Paulet, third son of of the 4th Marquess of Winchester. However a third son would normally difference his arms with a mullet (a five-pointed star) whereas the tablet shows a crescent, the mark of second son. This is because Henry’s eldest brother, died 1621 without issue and his second brother inherited the peerage on the death of their father in 1628. Henry therefore adopted the crescent as the second surviving son.]
l 2000 x w 1120 mm
Esther was the daughter of Francis Dowse or Douce and had only married John Miller in 1647, the year of his death. As mentioned in the inscription, after the death of her husband, Esther married Lord Henry Powlett who in 1649 bought back the manor of Amport which had been in his family since 1429. She was his second wife, he having been previously married to Lucy Philpot, daughter of Sir George Philpot of Thruxton, by whon he produced an heir, Francis. There is a monument to Lord Henry, who died in 1672, in the retro-choir of Winchester Cathedral (See ref a in the church record.) Sir William Paulet, an ancestor of the Lord Henry’s had bought the manor of Nether Wallop in 1547.(see ref. b in church record)
H S E/Ornati sime Domina Esthera Powlett,/Uxor Johannis Miller Generasi (sic)/Deinde Uxor et Vidua Henrici Powlett/Militis Balnei./Et Wilhemi (sic) Praenobilis Marchionis Wintoniae/Filij Tertij/Foemina omnibus numeris absoluta/Flagranti in Deum Zelo,/In Regem, Ex=cclesiam, et Clerum/Profusa largitate in Egenos/ Spectat Probitate in omnes/ Aeternum memoranda/Famae et Annorum Satura/Ad Coelum migravit/ XV Idus Octobris/Anno Domini MDCXCVII/Aetatis LXXVII/
The most well endowed la to the lady Esther Powlett, with for John Miller, Nobleman, then wife and widow of William Marquis of Winchester; a woman perfect in all respects, to be commemorated for ever for her devotion to God, to the King, the Church and the Clergy; for her lavish generosity to the poor and her notable uprightness in all her dealings. Full of fame and years she departed for Heaven on 15th Ides, of October, in the year of our Lord 1697 aged 87.
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 9
Grey ledger stone
Inscription is incised in roman and itslic caps and lc. The italix caps are flourished.
Beneath the main inscription is a set of initials and a date in large roman caps which appears to have no connection with the main memorial but may refer to Anna Maria Blunt (see 001E) whos body may have been buried here
The stone has ashallow crack running down from the top edge.
l 1800 x w 1050 mm
Thomas Gatehouse was the lay impropriator of the parish in 1727 and as such lived in The Parsonage. His wife, Anne died at he age of 42. One of their sons, Rev Alexander Gathouse, applied to become the vicar of Nether Wallop but was refused by the Vicars Choral of York in favour of one of their own. Another son Thomas Jr married Anna Maria Huggins in 1747 and in turn thier dughter aslo Anna Maria became the second wife of Walter Blunt, third son of Sir Henry Blunt of Croydon, 2nd Baronet and seem to be the first generation Blunts sto have live in Wallop.
Here lyeth the body of/Thomas Gatehouse Esqr/ who dyed [sic] August 25th 1749,/Aged 63./ ALSO/ANNE WIFE OF /THOMAS GATEHOUSE/WHO DIED MAY 9TH 1731,/In the 42nd year of her Age/A.M.B, 1829/
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 10
White ledger stone with a coat-of-arms in a lozenge decorated with foliage at the top.
The inscription is in roman caps with the long ‘f’ and flourished caps.
l 1600 x 680 mm
Elizabeth Miller set up a charity with £100, including £10 given by her sister Hester or Esther to the poor of Nether Wallop
Underneath this Marble Stone lyeth buried/Eight foot deep in a brick Vault the Body of/Mistress Hester Miller who departed this life/the 28th day of November In the year of our Lord/1706 In the 60th year of her age. And was buried/here after this manner by her surviving Sister/Mistress Elizabeth Miller with an Intention that?herself should hereafter be buried in the same/Grave it being equally the desire of them both that/as they had with the greatest Affection/Constantly Inhabited together in life their bodys [sic]/both might Ly [sic] in one Grave in expectation of A/Blessed Resurrection to Life Eternal./They both of them continued unmarried to the/end of their lives with a Truly Pious and Religious.Concern of their Future
State after this life/ended were Generous and Bountiful to all, Charitable/to the Poor and Constantly take A delight to/do Good Offices upon every Occasion that Offered./Mistress Elzabeth the Elder Sister/with Greatest Sorrow, tho with Patience, and Resignation to Gods good will for the Time of/her own Dissolution, Survived her Sister 18/Yrs And Departed this livve the 15th day of April in the year of our Lord 1725/And in the 81st year of her Age./
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 11
Grey ledger stone with inscription in incised roman caps
l 1050 x w 850 mm
Rev William Clarke was Vicar of Nether Wallop from 1658 to 1665
HERE LYETH/WILLIAM DOWLING CLARKE’LATE MINISTER/OF THIS PLACE/WHO DYED (sic) OCTOBER Ye 12TH /Ao DNI 1680/SARAH HIS WIFE/WHO DYED DECEMBER Ye 17TH/THEN NEXT FOLLOWING/
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 12
Engraved brass in the shape of a woman, set grey stone slab.
She has a nun’s head covering and long robes which cover her feet, her hands are together in prayer.
Above her head is a scroll with words in gothic script and beneath her feet is an inscription plate with lettering in gothic script.
The corners of both plates are broken off
Latten and stone
Figure – l 1040 x w 590 mm
Stone – l 1265 x w 1080 mm
Mary Gore was Prioress of the monastery of Amesbury, a cell of the Abbey of Fontevrault in Anjou, to which the estate of Wallop had been granted by Henry II in 1177. Henry II was buried in 1189 at the Abbey of Fontevrault. The estate remained in the possession of Amesbury until the Dissolution. The rights of the prioress of Amesbury to the estate of Wallop was confirmed by Edward I in 1286 when his daughter took the veil at Amesbury and in 1491 Henry VII granted a later prioress the right to hold a fair at Danebury Hill on the Feast of St Anne.
This is the only known portrait of a prioress in brass
Mediaeval brasses were made of an alloy of copper, zinc, lead and tin known as latten
Hic jacet d[on]na maria gore quonda[m] huius / dom[us] pririssa que obiit xiii die mensis januar / A[nno] d[omi]ni mccccxxxxvi cuius aie p[ro]piet deus ame[n] /
Here lies the body of Mistress Mary Gore, formerly prioress of this house, who died the 13th day of January , AD 1436 on whose soul God have mercy. Amen
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 13
Grey ledger stone headed with a coat of arms on a shield within a circle
The inscription is in roman caps and lc,
The coat of arms could not be blazoned.
The lettering and arms are very worn and illegible
l 2040 x w 900 mm
Richard Shefield was the owner of Fifehead Manor in Middle Wallop. His mother, Margaret had inherited it at the age of seven from her father, Nicholas Rede, likely the son of Alexander Sherfield who had owned it previously, who bequeathed it to her, his youngest daughter, on his death in 1580. Margaret married Richard Sherfield and by 1655 it was in his possession.
Here lyeth … … of Richard/Sherfield … dyed[sic] Avgust [sic] / [Remaining inscription is illegible
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 14
Grey ledger stone with inscription in italic caps and lc with long ‘s’
l 1850 x w 810mm
Here lyeth the Body of/Moses Saunders/who dyed[sic] March 18 1729/Aged 58/Draw near my Friend and cast an Eye/For as thou art so once was i/And as i am so shalt thou be/The … [the rest is hidden under the Font but could read ‘Therefor prepare to follow me.’]
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 15
Small dark grey ledger stone
The inscription is carved in flourished italic caps and lc is only partially legible through wear
l 940 x w 600 mm
A tablet on the W wall outside the tower dated 1704 mentions William Cleverly as a church warden at the time
Here lyeth ye body …./ the Tenth Son …./Cleverly …../who died April …./Aged … Weeks & 1 Day/
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 16
A tapered grey ledger stone withe inscription in roman caps, some of the wording is difficult to decipher
There is a coat of arms at the top which is quite worn away possibly was of the Douce family
l 800 x w tapering from 800 to 500 mm
HERE LYETH Ye BODY /PF Mrs DOROTHY DOUCE/SUGHTER OF/ROBERT CLINTON OF/STURTON IN Ye COUNTY/OF LINCOLN ESQ./ENTIRELY BELOVED/WIFE OF/THOMAS DOUCE ESQ,/BY WHOM SHE HAD/THIRTEEN CHILDREN/SEVEN OF WHICH/LY [sic] INTERRED/IN THIS ISLE [sic]/SHE DEPARTED/THIS LIFE/Ye 25TH APRIL/ANNO (DOMINI 1698) AETATIS 4….
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 17
A ledger stone containing the matrix of a bishop with a mitre and wearing an alb and tunicle, holding a crozier in his left hand. He is standing beneath an ogee-shaped canopy, crocketed above and cusped below, on either side of which are two shields
l 2960 x w 1300 mm
This stone appears to have been part of a double or possibly triple brass which may have commemorated John de Stratford, Bishop of Winchester who died in 1348, his with his brother Robert, Bishop of Chichester who died in 1362 and their nephew Ralph, Bishop of London, who died in 1354. it is therefore not likely to be in its orginal position.
John de Stratford had been appointed Bishop of Winshester by the Pope against the wishes fo Edward II, he was closely connected with the deposition of Edward in 1327, was Chancellor and principal advisor to Edward III for 10 years, then was Archbishop of Canterbury in 1333. It is not known why they should be commemorated in Nether Wallop except that a Rector of Wallop, Roger Hume became Chancellor of St Paul’s Cathedral shortly after their deaths and this might be the connection
no inscription is visible
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 18
A small square stone slab
Inscription in carved roman caps diagonally across the slab
l 330 x w 33
HSE / Sir F GOSLING Kt / 1768
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 19
A small square stone slab
Inscription in carved roman caps diagonally across the slab
l 340 x w 340 mm
Nether Wallop, St Andrew’s Church : Ledgerstone 20
A grey ledger stone with inscription carved in roman and italic caps and lc with the long ‘s’
l 1820 x w 820 mm
Thomas was the father of Francis Douce, the benefactor of St Andrew’s who is buried in the pyramid outside to the west of the church
Here lyeth the Body of / Thomas Douce / who dyed [sic] Decr … 1732 / Aetat Suae 85 /